22 May 2007

When physicians are the sick.

Aspiring abortion doctors drawn to embattled field

I have been thinking about abortion lately, and have had a few conversations about it. It occurred to me that while most students (sadly, not all) at Biola naturally and strongly are repulsed by the very idea, this is not so in the real world. In fact, there are many in society who are diametrically opposed to all that "anti-abortion" people have to say. According to abortion rights activists, (1) they aren't killing people because fetuses aren't people; and (2) even if fetuses are human, doctors and patients get to decide who lives and who doesn't. Whom we allow into the world is a matter of convenience. Really, the lines are becoming clearer. These days it seems fewer people are using the former argument, and more are beginning to use the latter. Talk about a culture of death, as Al Mohler puts it.

Anyway, the LA Times article I posted above made me so angry, and sickened. Apparently, performing abortions is now a sort of crusade, a civil rights movement, dangerous and heroic and vehemently pursued. What horrifies me most is that the doctors who routinely perform the gruesome task not only become callous toward the "procedure" but feel moral obligation and even self-righteousness as they continue to perform it. Good has become evil; evil, good; and those who are supposed to bring life to the sick, weak, and dying have become messengers of death. Who will protect us?

I ask again now, as I ask so often - rhetorically, in part, but I really do wish there were a sensible answer: Why has this evil become so good in their eyes?

I simply can't fathom any other answer than this: sin has entered the world. Thank God, so has Jesus.

No comments: