22 April 2007

Abortion abolition.

The LA Times on banning partial-birth abortions.
"The legal battle turned on the question of whether a woman and her doctor, or elected lawmakers, should decide on abortion."

Ugh. I hope it's clear how sick this is. And how ludicrous - a fight over who gets to choose the ones who get to choose whether a baby should be allowed to live or not. And the most obvious absurdity of all: people are not only inconvenienced nor annoyed, but angry, belligerent, combative, because some people don't want them to kill children. I wish I could doubt, but I don't believe I can, that there are actually people in this country - especially women - who would become martyrs, who would give up their life in order to ensure that their right to kill their babies is preserved. It gives me such chills to think about it. The bad kind.

Ruth Bader Ginsberg, currently the only female member of the Supreme Court, opined that the decision "cannot be understood as anything other than an effort to chip away at a right declared again and again by this court."

She's right, you know. The Supreme Court is looking like a bunch of hypocrites right now. Well, in the strictest sense they are hypocrites. But I'm not about to argue that they should allow partial-birth abortions for the sake of consistency and loyalty to their past decisions. No, on the contrary, our wish and aim and prayer should be that they reverse Roe v. Wade completely, that their eyes are opened to the legalized atrocities of the last forty years.

This may sound overly romanticized, but this generation are the new abolitionists - and might I put forth that while only a few Christians were politically active in reversing slavery laws, I'm certain that many others of the devout prayed faithfully for the abolition of the travesties against all bearers of God's image. I'm not saying we all have to be protesters with signs; ll I'm really saying is that we have to care, and bring those cares to God.

Even when it's not in the news, it matters to God. It always matters.

No comments: