30 April 2007

This is not filler material.

So I did plan on doing the first post about the topic I mentioned yesterday, but I ran out of time today as there were more urgent things to attend to. Like... school.

But I did have time to read Challies.com, as usual. And somewhat less usually (but not really surprisingly) he had not just one but two substantial posts in the same day that are of particular interest to me.

The first has to do with stewardship, specifically "frugality." College students are funny to me; sometimes we are so incredibly frugal as to be embarrassing (even unethical), and other times we may waste our not-always-very-hard-earned money on pretty dumb things. So, of course, I often struggle with or think carefully about using my resources wisely as a college student. On ther other hand, basically everyone agrees that we should be wise with our finances, and many would say that we are to live "wartime lifestyles" in order to give as generously as possible. But I wonder if the rules about what's okay to buy or not buy are allowed to change at all when I'm older if, perchance, I ever become a bit more financially secure than I am now. Tim Challies seems to think they do, and presents it very thoughtfully. Sweet.

The second post is a shorter one about the modern-day reality of healing miracles. Whether or not you believe that healing is a "spiritual gift" given to individuals or not, I can't think of a reason any Christian would not believe that prayer is powerful and that God can and does still miraculously heal, outside of mere modern medicine. But sometimes we act like praying for a miracle is silly. Maybe some of us don't need this reminder, but some of us do. Oh Western rationalism, God never said we had better only ask for things which were likely and within the scope of our experience. "Pain and suffering are not part of the kingdom."

No, I'm not merely stalling for time; I am stalling for time AND posting things I find worthwhile. So there.

No comments: