25 April 2007

To dole or not to dole?

Should I give money to people on the street who ask for it?

What a question. My answer is Yes, and the above link is a qualification of that Yes. I guess it's a "Yes, but...."

Quite honestly, I don't completely agree with EVERYTHING the Internet Monk had to say about giving. He seems a little too reluctant (not out of pure selfishness, I don't think) and errs on the side of prudence, where I would err on the side of... what's the opposite of prudence? Extravagance? Yes, that's a good word. After all, I think that Christ's love for us is nothing if not lavish.
But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ--by grace you have been saved-- and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

Of course, in God's case it was a little different - he was sure of the effectual nature of his actions; he is omniscient and omnipotent and elects people to salvation; and unlike him, we are not the owners of our resources but only stewards. Yet at the same time I think there is something to be said, again, for erring (if one must err) on the side of extravagance. We may not be able to predict the outcome like God can, but we may certainly trust him to bless our blessing of others.

Wisdom is still a necessary part of the equation, however, which is why I'm linking to iMonk in the first place. It's a good reminder if you tend to be a "bleeding heart liberal" as my dad loves to call me. He thinks it's teasing, but I think it's true.

So there you are. The answer is, "Discernment." What a cop out answer. :]

1 comment:

Mike said...

I agree with you 100% -- that ought to scare you.