17 April 2007

Don't talk about race. Don't be afraid to talk about race.

Once again I'm going to link elsewhere. Have I made it clear enough I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to these issues? I don't, I really don't. But I try, and I try to learn from others.

Today's link is from a pastor in Grand Cayman (like, the island) named Thabiti Anyabwile. I don't read his blog regularly but I have read it in the past, and he's referenced by a circle of other good bloggers quite a bit. I respect his opinions and thoughts; he is a good minister of the gospel in general, and is also helpful when it comes to thinking about multicultural and racial issues - perhaps more than your average conservative or Reformed pastor, who, let's face it, tends to be white and suburban. Nothing inherently wrong there, but it doesn't always lend itself to much diversity and there are obvious biases at times.

In this post, he gives Ten Tips for Talking about Race.

1. Don't talk about race.

But if and when you do talk about race...
2. ...don't tell people you're "color blind."

3. ...be sure to empathize wherever you can.

4. ...be sure to call injustice injustice.

5. ...be honest.

6. ...be patient.

7. ...please fight against the tendency to stereotype.

8. ...accept legitimate responsibility but refuse illegitimate guilt.

9. ...go ahead and offend.

10. ...root the conversation in the Gospel.

Here is a man who understands the delicacy of, and absolute need for nuance in, "racial" (which I believe, and which it seems he also believes, is actually cultural) discussions. He gives some good communication principles which are as far as I know not only good for talking about race but talking about any difficult topic. And I'm glad he admits that race is a difficult topic - God knows that too many people, tired of political correctness, want to pretend that it isn't so complicated as we make it out to be - without being afraid of it. I can think of no topic, especially one so socially relevant in the eyes of the culture we have been placed in, that Christians should ever be afraid to discuss. So here you go.

No comments: